Rooted phone on internet

The Sony XA2 with Sailfish OS remains rooted so far to my understanding. Is it safe enough to use for internet? I don’t let this phone out of my sight unless it is locked up.

Is there a big difference to a PC with a Linux OS? Who cares? If you’re concerned, don’t allow third-party apps to be installed and turn off developer mode.

The internet is not a safe place for anyone :wink:

8 Likes

“rooting” a phone poses a danger only to corporate interests, not users.

If anything, the ability to install software you choose instead of of the spyware that is forced on you otherwise potentially makes you safer.

That being said, be careful what you choose to install, make informed decisions.

10 Likes

Maybe rooting an Android phone has some implications from fragile security concepts making certain assumptions. That too is debatable, but most importantly, it does not make it true for Sailfish OS.

Why? It’s not like it affects the permissions of applications, it just makes it possible for the user to do certain things.

2 Likes

Yes, I know. The hint is just a placebo :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the replies so far. I’m trying to be careful. I like my phone very much. I have it tethered with a USB cable to my Meerkat mini PC (Pop! OS) and am able to surf the internet just fine. I’m very happy with the whole set up. I get lifetime advice with the Meerkat at no cost. The combination of phone and PC is fairly fast. I’m getting unlimited internet at 4G speeds until I reach 6GB, then it goes at a slower speed afterwards, but still unlimited. The cost for talk, text, data for me right now on my plan in $28 a month. The company is called H2O Wireless and I’m in Texas in the United States. They have plans with more GB, but this will do for now. H2O told me they don’t mind if I tether. There is no extra cost. Sailfish OS tethered just fine after I set it up with instructions I found here. The VPN set up is alot easier too than my Ubuntu Touch phone was. I wanted to pass this info along to others in the US that might help them get started. The community edition of Sailfish is great. Maybe soon they can make the paid version available in the US. There is the Android support I would like to add. Thanks again.

1 Like

We need a way to change that boot message to “Your device has been unlocked and can now be trusted”. :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Yes indeed. I only open the cover when the message is gone :nerd_face:

2 Likes

The message is slightly different on the XA2. It just says:

“Your device software cannot be checked for corruption. Please lock you bootloader.”

And corruption is your friend. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You might want to turn off “Remote connection” from “Developer tools” if you enabled it and you replaced the generated password[1] with your own shitty, easy-to-remember password.

[1] which could be a little longer as well

I am so sorry if my question is inpolite but did someone post his password or the length of it?

What is the idea of this question? I don’t think that anybody ever has posted his password here and I never read something like that. For the password 6-8 letters/numbers are enough and if you want a ‘safe’ one then you can type something like j#kdhlxfcbnvbs<hgvfbg on your keyboard and you have a ‘safe’ one.

I understand that one post before it was suggested that people use their:

“own shitty easy to remember passwords”.

My question was if there was any evidence that justifies this suggestion and the harsh tone.

I sure should have refrained from irony.

systemctl stop irndaemon

Oh, sorry… I only wanted to say, an IMHO enough save password should be a random series of characters, capital and small letter + numbers, that is in not existing in any dictionary…

1 Like

So we were both maybe pretty right. Merry Christmas and and happy sailing.

1 Like