Question: MS Teams on Sailfish OS

Jolla has an integration with MS Exchange. Could be possible also to get a MS Teams support? Because,… hm, there is MS Teams icon drawn on the picture of in-car Jolla solution published in the last Community News.

If you read the announcement more closely, it is about the Android App Support being offered (separately from Sailfish OS) to third parties like car manufacturers. I.e. the Teams icon is to show that the Teams Android app will work, and presumably already does.

The Android Microsoft Teams app partially works on Sailfish, but not all of it. In particular notifications don’t work, presumably because that feature needs the Google Services Framework which Sailfish doesn’t provide. However, that aside, it works well enough to be usable.

2 Likes

The notifications work for me. But then again I use microG, so I guess that’s enough to make them work.

1 Like

Microsoft provides a version that runs on Gentoo (or used to run when I still used it) and on Ubuntu. They won’t let us see the code, though, I assume. :wink:

@ossi1967 Teams Client for Linux = Electron crap :wink:

So it should be useable on any device that allows some kind of browser to run on it ?!

Also I think there is a web version which is basically the same thing and only 2 or 3 features are missing ?!

Microsoft still do provide a linux client for teams which is actively maintained by them. It looks and functions identically to the windows version. I use it daily for my work on Elementary OS, which is a user-focused linux based on Ubuntu.

1 Like

It certainly does not function identically to the Windows version. The 3x3 or even more video grid is missing, it’s limited to 4 streams at a time. Also, the background blur/replace are missing. And, for some reason it suffers of what seems to be packet loss: video often gets distorted and/or I get warnings about bad connection. I’m on FttH, full wired ethernet, and yet Teams is the only application with issues. Video calling using Matrix isn’t a problem. I consistently complain about it when asked (again and again) about the call quality. And for good measure, I deduct one star each and every time because I’m still pissed about being forced to work around Internet Explorer 6 issues for so many years. Screwing their stats: bad data is worse than no data >:)

1 Like

Hmm, I don’t have anything like those problems. During lockdown here in the UK, when we have to work from home, I use the Teams app (not in a browser) on linux constantly, often with 8 or 9 video streams active (in a row across the bottom, with the stream that’s talking much bigger centre screen above) and no freezing or stuttering. Never used the background blurring so can’t comment on this. And I’m only on fibre to the street cabinet, then good old fashioned copper the rest of the way. Sounds like you may have a latency problem with your connection?

1 Like

@meolic aside from the Android app itself I’d say any native app (or integration) would need Microsoft themselves doing it.
the code is a) proprietary and not open source and b) the Electron framework used by it (and for my taste too many other apps) requires a lot more memory that you’d encounter on a smartphone. so its not a good technology for the mobile context

2 Likes