Nextcloud Tasks Sync with SFOS

Hi,

is there an option to sync my tasks from nextcloud to my Jolla? The current nextcloud apps only seem to support file transfer.

Thanks

6 Likes

Welcome to the community, @Sikarjan!

Short answer: No.

There are a few threads on this topic in the old forum, without solution:

1 Like

Do you know if there is any interest in the community to make all of Nextcloud to work in Sailfish OS. It would be great to see full nextcloud integration in calendar, notes, etc. Native apps for Libre office documents, spreadsheets and presentation would be added greatness.
It could be the Sailfish OS answer to GSuite…

3 Likes

is it possible to use a android task list app for makeshift?

I recently took the plunge and installed Sailfish OS on my phone. So far I’m pretty happy with it, but one of the things I really miss is the tasks from nextcloud. I’ve started building an app for that, since I want the sailfish phone to become my daily driver and that’s not happening without my tasks.

So yes, there is interest. It is my first sailfish app though, and I’m doing this in my free time, so no promises whether I will finish it and if so when.

I’m actually hoping to integrate with the existing nextcloud integration in the OS itself, but I think that’s not possible at the moment. So I plan to do the account management and caldav interaction in the app itself for now, and maybe when I feel more confident look at how to contribute to the actual nextcloud integration to make it go through that instead (maybe there is already work under way on that?).

3 Likes

This is great news!

I hope all of Nextcloud will be fully integrated in Sailfish OS. I guess great people like you are needed to make that happen.

Would love if the native notes app were natively syncable with nextcloud.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

I just uploaded a very very very early pre-release of the app to openrepos:

https://openrepos.net/content/gmc/tasks

It hasn’t seen much testing yet, so there might be issues that may lead to data loss. I haven’t seen data loss yet in my local testing, and I am using it against my production nextcloud instance right now, but I also have very good backups :slight_smile:

Make sure to read the known issues before using this:

2 Likes

I’ve been doing some more work on this app. It now also supports any arbitrary caldav server, and I’ve been using it for half a year now without any data loss, so that’s good :slight_smile:

this a super nice app! However I miss checkboxes, and it seems to show tasks from the deck but cannot sync or edit them. Probably I must learn some on the use of Nextcloud Deck. (The android Astrid clone works with deck tasks as they are normal tasks with subtasks)

I think Deck is only starting to add the tasks, even on my desktop (gnome) i can see them but interacting is limited to the deck platform itself. I have run into the same with this app.

You can set the status for a task if you go into the task screen, and choose ‘Completed’. I might add checkboxes for that in the task list view at some point.

Personally, I don’t use deck. I remember someone else on openrepos mentioning issues with deck as well, but as I’m not using it I haven’t thought to check or test with that. Maybe later.

Could you make an aarch64 build? I’d like to try and find out if your app works with nag.

ok, I just was curious why deck items pop um and look like tasks but don’t act like tasks here, but they look like tasks and behave like tasks in the astrid clone. (actually in deck, you can’t mark a card as ‘done’, i believe, or maybe I have not yet found how to.

@gmc btw. Since your app is no longer just about Nextcloud Tasks, perhaps you should create a separate topic for it in the #app-development category?

Good point, created a new topic to continue this discussion: Harbour-tasks app

I just enabled deck in my nextcloud installation, and I now see what you mean. I think the sensible thing to do here is to not have the deck tasks lists appear in the app, as I have no clue how to deal with them. I’ll have to see if I can somehow differentiate the calendars (the app just requests a list of calendars from the server, and apparently the deck things are also returned by the server).

Also, seems deck only has read-only support for caldav: https://github.com/nextcloud/deck/issues/2399

1 Like

weird the astrid clone does not care. It shows deck’s cards as tasks, so one can mark them done (which you can’t in even deck).

You’ve piqued my curiosity: what is the astrid clone? I might want to have a look at that. And when you mark a task as done in this astrid clone, does it upload to the nextcloud server as well? How does it show there?

My app also shows the cards as tasks I saw, and you can mark them done. But as soon as you upload, it is ignored by the deck app and the change is overwritten locally iirc.

this one, named tasks.

actually, completing a ‘task’ placed in deck will not have any effect in deck itself, it will only show as ‘completed task’ in tasks. So they don’t upload, plus they don’t get corrected either.