Media volume control cannot be used before playing music [4.0.1]

Hi sailors.

Am i wrong saying we just can’t control the volume for media before playing one ?

I don’t know for gallery video playing, or media player (and that’s not the problem here), but in case you’re using youtube on the web browser, you just can’t mute before it begin. Super practical for waking up your girlfriend at 2 a.m.

It’s a complete non-sense for me.
I just can’t figure out how it is possible to conceive of such a thing.

We should at least be able to change it in the sound settings. At least …

10 Likes

I totally agree, handling of media volume is pretty ridiculous…
Fortunately it can be fixed with some shell magic, but there really need to be settings options!
You can force the volume buttons to always control the media volume by running the following shell command:

dconf write /jolla/sound/force_mediavolume true
4 Likes

Thanks for the trick :slight_smile:
Have a nice day.

I have been able to change volume for the stock mediaplayer when in that app (having it active; maximized), without playing anything. When I minimized the mediaplayer and switched to homescreen, I could change the ringtone volume, independently of the mediaplayer. The volume button was governed by which app was currently active (or homescreen). But since SFOS 4 I can no longer do that. It doesn’t matter what app I’m in, the volume button changes only ringtone volume. Unless I’m playing a song in the mediaplayer, then the volume button changes the volume for the song/mediaplayer. Annoying, to say the least.

@larsmaria: Sounds like you found a regression bug there. You may want to post this at #bug-reports

I’ve checked with my Jolla 1 (SFOS 3.4) and it wasn’t quite how I remembered it.

Once there is a media app (Media or Video player) running in SFOS 3.4, whether active (maximized) or not (minimized), whether playing a media or not - the volume button changes media volume. Otherwise it changes ringtone volume.

In SFOS 4 (at least on my phone, a Sony Xperia X), the volume button always changes the ringtone volume, no matter how many media apps are running - unless I’m playing a media, then the button changes media volume.

Yes, I guess it’s a regression bug.

1 Like

Moving to bug reports.

The dconf key wasn’t set in my device… I thought all the dconf keys were supposed to exist with default values. Or is that a Gnome thing perhaps?

Thanks to everyone here for the bug report and discussion.

From what I understand the issue mentioned above by @larsmaria is a bug that had been caused by some of the sandboxing changes, but which has been fixed from 4.4.0 onwards. As such I’ve tagged it as “fixed”, but if anyone experiences this again, please say so we can look into it again.

1 Like