Jolla E-Mail: Deleted E-Mails stay in Inbox on IMAP-E-Mail-Server [solved]

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100% (always)
OSVERSION: 4.5.0.18
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact - h8314 - h8314 - 0.5.0.1 - aarch64
UI LANGUAGE: Deutsch (user: de_DE, os: de_DE.utf8)
REGRESSION: not specified

DESCRIPTION:

Delete Function never delete E-Mail(s) from the Inbox of IMAP-E-Mail-Server, they stay there in Inbox. In Jolla E-Mail App they disappear from the Inbox but dont show up in the Trashcan-Folder.

PRECONDITIONS:

Imap E-Mail-Account is required

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Receive E-Mail
  2. Open Jolla E-Mail
  3. Select E-Mail(s) in the Inbox-List or open one E-Mail in the reader and press on the Trashcan-Button
  4. In Jolla E-Mail App they disappear from the Inbox but dont show up in the Trashcan-Folder
  5. On the E-Mail-Server (imap.strato.de) the deleted E-Mails are still present in Inbox

EXPECTED RESULTS:

Deleted E-Mails are also deleted from Inbox on the E-Mail-Server

ACTUAL RESULTS:

Deleted E-Mails are not deleted from Inbox on the E-Mail-Server

MODIFICATIONS:

• Patchmanager: yes
  • OpenRepos: yes
  • Chum: yes
  • Other: none specified

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Device Owner User: defaultuser
Home Encryption: not supported

the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger 0.9.9+git3
5 Likes

Confirmed.

Although AFAIK trashcan/deleted items is not a feature of IMAP itself. It can only mark messages as deleted, and optionally can EXPUNGE the folder.

It seems neither is happening.

There should be an option to configure the behaviour: mark deleted, mark and expunge, or move to trash.

I’m not able to reproduce. The emails are moved to Trash as expected.

1 Like

No problem with Jolla E-Mail for me with an imap account, but :

• Patchmanager = no
  • OpenRepos = no
  • Chum = yes
  • Other = none specified
    My smartphone is an X10ii with 4.5.0.19 and my host is Gandi

So maybe this Problem is present with some IMAP-Servers? I could provide a test-account to a jolla-member if needed.

1 Like

It works fine on my IMAP servers to. I don’t use microsoft exchange.

Is there some kind of hardcoded expectation what the Trash folder is called?

As e.g. mentioned [here]( IMAP Trash folder - MozillaZine Knowledge Base), such folders may have different names (e.g. localized “Gelöscht”, Trashcan, Trashbin, “Deleted Items” (Exchange), deleted-items (uw/panda-imap/c-client), …) depending on IMAP server and other factors.

Maybe this is the fault, Jolla E-Mail App and my Webmailer show Trashcan localised in german “Papierkorb” but maybe its name on the mailserver is just “Trash”?

Maybe, I guess the code responsible is about here.

I don’t read Qt/cpp code well, but it looks lile there’s some account setting which determines what is regarded as IMAP trash folder, and if that isn’t found, the message is only moved locally?

First of all, I also have this problem and had it for a while (across more than one updates definitely).

There was a fix which didn’t fully work for me, iirc the problematic behaviour returned after a reboot.

I don’t think it’s a localisation problem.
My webmail calls the Trash “Gelöscht”, SFOS calls it “Deleted tems” and Evolution calls it “Trash”, and they all show the same content.
Evolution (and claws-mail) do the right thing when deleting mail.

All that said it could still be a problem of different behaviour of email providers.
Mine’s posteo.de.

I have this workaround from another Thread here with equal Problem:

I just deleting the ~/.qmf folder and reboot, after that E-Mail that are deleted with Jolla-E-Mail App are deleted from the IMAP-Inbox too.

1 Like