Is there a future for SailfishOS?

I’d rather Jolla spent their time and resources squashing some of the more irritating basic functionality bugs than making UI or eye-candy changes.

16 Likes

The latest info we got was: there are two representatives of Rostelecom in Jolla’s Board and one Russian private investor. The Russian State is for about 45% owner of Rostelecom. This makes it impossible to get grants from the EU and this will not change in the nearby future.
I like Sailfish, it’s my daily driver for about 10 years, but I don’t know other persons who use it or are even interested in it. The promises we got during the first years of Jolla still are not fullfilled (mirroring, making video calls, etc.). So it’s not attractive enough for them.There has been progress, but with every new device there are set backs with bugs too.

5 Likes

Oh no please not! The present UI is the best I know (and I know others!), there are other much more important things to do! It was often discussed here.
The system as it is intended is very good, but it has some little bugs that needs to be fixed, what is more important. Please do not destroy a very good UI concept only to do ‘something new’ like the managers that destroy our world.

9 Likes

making video calls, etc

@Kea What kind of video calls do you mean?

I make video calls successfully with stock browser and my friends private Jitsi server, it could be better, but works.

edit: i can’t cite here with stock browser as on laptop, only copy & paste!

1 Like

The only thing that I want from the UI is to “push” the app screen up, right in between notifications and multitasking. Just like MeeGo, nothing more.
Or at least as an option to have it like this.

2 Likes

Thank you for your great response!!! I think reflash is a great idea. By this I can fix some bugs and it is a sort of “last chance” for SFOS and me. :wink:

An Backup of SFOS accounts, apps and settings I can do using OS functions. But how to backup android apps. Do I have to backup android manually like in Backup of Android Apps - fails - #10 by WT.Sane ?? I did allready manually backup of Signal, OSMAnd and Skytube without a problem.

@kea so how much exactly do russians own of Jolla? I’m daydreaming that Finland or EU would buy out Russians. Is there any way to sell Russians shares to regular individuals? I’d buy some stocks ( if I had any money)

1 Like

i’m not sure that nationalising Jolla is a hopeful or promising future to wish for SFOS!

If SFOS cannot survive in the market then the reality is that is has no future to offer us, its customers.

i do want to see a post-rostelcom future for Jolla, but being a plaything for EU committee’itus is not what I want to see.

3 Likes

It’s not really a nationalization if state doesn’t own majority. Besides, it is common in Finland for state to own part of companies, despite of our right wing parties. Besides, communication infrastructure is a matter of national security, and if attack of Russia has proven anything it is that we can’t blindly rely on free global trade. And if there is a problem with EU, it is that they blindly listen to corporate lobbyists.

5 Likes

Its not a free trade issue. This is what happens when you do business with totalitarian regimes. Its something democratic countries should look into (cutting ties with countries like that).

You cant make a good deal with a bad person.

@ApB that was kinda my point? Free trade doesn’t work in a world where everyone is not playing by the same rules, so government intervention on critical infrastructure might be necessary to stop said totalitarian regimes from aquiring them. Obviosly Jolla isn’t critical but as I said I was daydreaming. But the current state was definetly risen from free trade, all the way to back when google was allowed to grow too big.

1 Like

Free trade doesn’t mean that there wont me periods of instability. But they usually pan out -sooner or later. See what happened with gas prices when the war began and what is happening now. It settled.

I kind of believe (or maybe hope) that the situation with mobile operating systems will change also. Ie. big companies seem to be unhappy with the google apple situation (see epic vs apple and spotify complaining).

They caused it obviously but goes to show that more competition is needed. I hope they remember the lesson they got -not supporting lesser platforms for a fraction of the cost of the apple/google tax

And because of that i see a future in OSs like SFOS. We just need to fix a few things.

1 Like

Obviosly it doesn’t mean no bad times. But that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t manage risks of said bad time with free unregulated trade. Gas price leveling out now is not gonna help those who were struggling in the beginning and maybe lost their job cause couldn’t afford to drive to work. I’m not against international trade, I just think it must be more regulated.

And back to my original point, I would just love to see some company or community or even European state buying out Russians and givimg Jolla a chance, rather than Jolla going under or staying with Russians. And I do believe blind faith to free trade was part of why Jolla started partership with Russia, as with all the business EU has done with Russia

1 Like

You mean like basically everybody does with China?

I understand your arguments (meaning, from both of you) and they are praiseworthy, but it’s also dangerously naive to think that there are countries without any blood on their hands, as is the concept of ‘everyone playing by the same rules’. Not gonna happen, period. ‘When it comes to a narrow pass’, an old Arabic saying goes, ‘there is no friend or brother’.

1 Like

You might try the angelfish browser from chum. It’s really nice.

2 Likes

I am sorry I have no details. I am just recapitulating what Jolla’s leader said in the latest post about this subject. He mentioned the members of the Board.It seems to be complicated. The decision to search for Russian (and Chinese) investors was made in the past out of a lack of money after the tablet disaster.

Are there any scale settings in Angelfish? On the 10iii everything is way to big.

You can set the scaling in the qml runner that angelfish uses. It get’s installed when you install angelfish via chum.

3 Likes

As @poetaster said, and a nice value is 250. Tap Qt Runner on app grid, then you see ‘Default settings’. Tap there, Tap (enable) ‘Override DPI’ and set the slider to 250 or do some experiments what size you prefer. Then tap ‘Apply’ in upper right corner and close Qt Runner. Next time you start Angelfish, the font size should be ‘normal’.

Q: btw, now as Qt Runner is installed, what other apps can I now install with this new feature?

2 Likes

I second, or third, the request to make the OS open source in case Jolla goes bankrupt. @flypig, @Jolla, whoever else, still reading this forum inside Jolla, do your part to put pressure on the management team.

Selling the OS to… some entity would be the worst. Everyone’s talking about how bad the partnership with Russia was (in hindsight, of course), but imagine Jolla just outright transferring all the closed source parts to Russia for good.

1 Like