/home/nemo/.cache consumes huge space on home partition

My home partition runs out of pace again and I realized that /home/nemo/.cache consumes 1.5 GB of disk space. Especially /home/nemo/.cache/org.nemomobile/thumbnails takes almost 1 GB.

Is there a way to move .cache to scdard?
Would it be save to move it to /run/media/nemo//.cache and create a symlink to /home/nemo/.cache?

The .cache folder contains data that can usually cleared, but don’t just nuke it.

You can find out what folders eat up the space:

cd ~/.cache
du -d 1 -m | sort -n

It shows the folder sizes in megabytes. Then just cd into a folder and run the command again to find out with even more precisely where tge data is. Then you may be able to clear the cache in the application, or delete the data manually, it depends.

Don’t clear Jolla folders though, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the hint.

the biggest chunk by far is /home/nemo/.cache/org.nemomobile/thumbnails. I just moved it to sdcard and created a symbolic link from the new location to the old location.
Other large directores were
microtube, harbour-pure-maps, and harbour-sailfishconnect. Moved them in the same way.

Eventually I’ll move /home/nemo/android_storage and adapt its path in /var/lib/lxc/aliendalvik/bsp_config. Didn’t dare to do so yet.

You can delete those files without ANY problem, no need to waste any other space backing them up. I actually delete the entire folder, not just its contents

At some point, tracker runs and that same folder is replaced and filled again, this certainly happens after restarting lipstick. So, I suppose, sifting through your photos and deleting ones you don’t want, will help reduce space taken up by the cache.

2 Likes