High battery drainage Xperia 10 III

What version of SysMon has that battery discharge rate etc? 0.6-48 doesn’t seem to have that.

Isn’t this Systemdatascope?

SysMon 0.6-48 from StoreMan.

It is not immediately obvious, but the graphs themselves are active and drill down to further graphs containing more detailed data.

Personally there are a few more drill downs I’d like, but the main stuff is there.

1 Like

This is basic installation with a few Apps I use regularly.

As I mentioned, Android is stopped and for the test, Battery Buddy was also disabled.

Ok, i found it. Pressing Battery charge shows those graphs. Live and learn.

Good to see someone else actually doing tests and making measurements!
I suggest you try a flight mode test to eliminate the drain of the various radio signals - as these very much depend on how close you are to the cell site, and wifi.

From your graphs I calculate 1.2%/hr discharge rate.
My own reported results in flight mode was 0.7%/hr.

It can be calculated from this that more than half the power is wasted in idle doing nothing.
Or to put it another way, if the idle current was reasonable (what it is in Android), then DrDweebs phone would run for a week like this instead of ~3 days as it is.
This also likely shows that the current drain to keep the radios running is not too bad, the excess idle drain is what is killing it.

Thanks. I need some Android-Apps for me for “daily driver”.
Could you perhaps do the test again with Android-Support (+ some Android-Apps) activated, please?
That would show the direct influence.

How can I install that, I only found:
https://openrepos.net/content/basil/system-monitor

An installation in the SFOS Storeman-app is not possible for me, see picture (?).

https://openrepos.net/content/ade/system-monitor-fork

1 Like

Previously, I tested with exactly one Android app (APK Pure) installed. I had run the application but terminated it. Power drain was excessive.

I used Crest to observe that APK Pure had a background process that was chewing power constantly, despite the application being closed. I posted a picture of the System Monitor showing the change in power consumption when disabling Android further up in this thread.

My conclusion with a sample space of 1, was that Android Apps are not well behaved and best avoided.

After the update to 4.5.0.16 I made the same measure with the same settings:

Mean value: discharging 1% of the battery in 75,7 minutes .
This is only a small improvement, I hoped for a better efficiency.
During one hour I count about 13 measure points which are < -100 mA.

1 Like

This is not necessarily a drainage problem, but after the latest update (4.5) CPU sleep has been acting like a roller coaster. This is the last 12 hours with mostly idling (a little bit of browsing on this forum and such at around clock 19.00, which really doesn’t show):

This has happened since, and it happens all the time. Looking at htop or Lighthouse nothing particular seems to pop up. My configuration is pretty basic (on Xperia 10 III). Only calendar syncs to Nextcloud, but even that is set to manual.

1 Like

Bump.
Post must be at least 20 characters.

Sadly, 10 III power consumption on 4.5.0.18 seems to be even worse than on 4.4 :frowning:

@blumenkraft Can’t confirm that, my cpu sleeps well over night: WIFI disabled, bluetooth enabled

So it seems. Interesting.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to figure out what application(s)/process(es) is doing that in my case?

(Referring to my earlier post: High battery drainage Xperia 10 III - #195 by Blumenkraft)

Mine doesn’t, and I have everything but mobile data disabled. Looking at cpu usage it is some system processes causing the activity, and I’m unable to find out what is going on.

This kind of erratic behaviour was/is visible on the GS5 port from @piggz from 4.4 … I’ve been trying to track it down for some time. I did:

zypper install sysstat
pidstat -I 1 10800  > /var/log/pidstats.log 2>&1 &

To collect exact stats. but that’s a log of log data to work with.

1 Like

I am not seeing that at all. It is identical with 4.5.0.16 and consumption is now below where I can be bothered to care any more. I see no changes whatsoever and consumption is consistent and low in normal “standby”.

@Speedy-10
Yes, it looks it sleeps well, but it also looks like yours has constant CPU usage (10-15% estimated) until you plug in the charger. I find that odd.

@eson Your phone also looks like it sleeps ok’ish, and the CPU usage is also quite interesting (to say the least) until you plug in the charger.

@poetaster
Thank you for the tip. I will look into it when i have time.