Here's an idea....and maybe I'm not the first one to think of it

If Meego can become Sailfish after getting kicked out by Microsoft, why can’t Sailfish make a deal with Microsoft to take over arguably one of the best operating systems, Windows Mobile? 10, I guess. How about Window Mobile 11 Sailfish Edition! Go ahead and give them top billing, what do you care.
Windows Mobile is the first time I ever had true integration, desktop, laptop, phone. And I still use one. I have to, the very corporate HP Elite X3, and the very French, but Chinese made, Alcatel 4S Idol (with, I might add, VoLTE, type C, amoled display, all for 2016) I’ve not been left with too many viable options that are not Craproid or Crapple.
I’m not saying Jolla abandon this creation. It is super nice, but, if somehow, the best of both worlds could be brought together…
My attitude toward privacy is for now, until it is more viable for me to jump off into the completely open source Linux pool, it has been to narrow down my exposure to just one of these behemoths and control my info as much as I possibly can against the many leaks they invariably seem to extract.
This for me being the precedent, multi-decade relationship I have to Microsoft. (Yet another reason Sailfish might partner with the big M).
For me, though, …get rid of the too android-looking teardrops.
The Microsoft live tiles are the best and serve two major purposes. One, obviously is information, but two, is geography/location on the phone with a big easy to tap button. And although, they failed on the destop, they’re brilliant in the hand.
Myself and my wife use a windows emulator on our Craproid devices now.
An operating system to a user like myself is in itself a language. It’s the hand gestures in between the grunts our actual ancestors used to actually use for communication.
The Sailfish hand gestures, from what I can understand, are a big selling point. Or at least they seem to think so. I cannot say as I’ve yet to get my hands on one.
And, frankly, from my limited vantage point, I will say Sailfish looks to be a very elegant language, i.e. the whole operating system/experience.
ALTHOUGH, I think it would help if I knew where I could go to download and use a copy of Sailfish on a desktop. I’m talking a Youtube baby step video on installing it on an old pc laying around! Please! And links to get all the apparent additional software, what it is, and why it’s important, as well as step by step on installing those prep software “whatevers” before even being able to install Sailfish. This might lend a bit of understanding as to how it’s done on the phone a bit as well and save a bunch of forum questions down the road, too!
Short of that, I’d push and push hard, options such as “what’s app” and whatever decent Voip option to allow calling as well.
For me my beautiful NEW (just bought it less than six months ago) 2016 Hp Elite X3 which doesn’t have Volte, I’ll have to reenable a Skype number as the data on that phone will continue to work just fine past July 1st, 2022.
And, hears the thing, because it’s Windows, it will work and work great, in spite of a lack of updates!
And, I still don’t know why I can just buy the android support version here in America, but a partnership on some level with Microsoft might just solve that, too.
Now I know some on here will say never, but let us face facts, apparently this Sailfish isn’t open source either.
And I think it’s very difficult to have an unstandardized standard, i.e. Linux in general, let alone one that will advance. Someone has to take the helm and my understanding is at least Windows 11 allows the user to turn a great deal more off if he/she wishes.
Yes, that is the day, July 1st. Just an fyi, for rest of the world. We officially are being forced into Uber 1st world. Or at least that’s what we’re being told. No more having to endure that completely reliable old 3G standard for us!
I think our corporations are thinking that if they can force 4G on us, it won’t be long until it’s 5G and you HAVE TO UPGRADE, and then once they get to 6G, they’re gonna know exactly where you are, what you’re doing, your heartrate, your hormone levels, you name it! And all in real time, too. 24/7!!!
To me it means a lot of cool chinese fun and feature 3G phones will be worthless on Ebay.
I’ve had my eye on one of those giant 80’s cell phone retro modern that also won’t work past July.
OH, and Jolla, did I mention the umpteen acres of southeast asian tech support that might also be immediately at your disposal with a deal with the devil?

Nice trolling there.

21 Likes

It’s just that WP was just stupid crap and eventually ruined Nokia.

10 Likes

TLDR, And man bash is more interesting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nokia knew where i was with my Nokia E71 and Ovi maps in 2008 with 2G. :globe_with_meridians: :artificial_satellite:

4 Likes

Sailfish should stay an - as good as possible - community project and should not be on the mercy of any global player. Think of that: how long will major parts of SFOS stay opensource, if MS rules Jolla and/or SFOS? Better stay independent and away from this (my private poinion).

edit: @romeoecho I also had a WinMobile phone in 2015, and can confirm that it really worked fine, very user friendly UI. very good way to avoid this pesky Andr*id. But unfortunately this is history.

In 2015 I didn’t know anything about SFOS and/or it’s forerunners, but now, as SFOS proceeded quite good, I’m very happy with it.

7 Likes

In fact it was all somewhat controlled by the US-majority in Nokia shares who voted for Elop instead of the finish guy (forgot the name) to become the new boss… And that’s were it ended. The US media did a great job promoting android, talking of rising market shares ( even so the absolute numbers of Nokia devices sold were still growing stronger than e.g. Samsung, just not in percent, which is a nice way to hide this fact:-)
There was a website, communities dominates brand, where it was described how Nokia has been intentionally destroid and eventually sold far undervalued. Could well be the US shareholders just couldn’t imaging anyone else except for US companies, namely Microsoft, was able to build a competing OS. No matter the reasons, I’d love to have a Meego phone, tablet, PC and automotive system now. It’s so sad.

3 Likes

I do not think was like that. It was just incompetency of the management who failed to see a trend, and they stopped innovating. They were focused on phones that last 2 weeks on a charge, it looked like the market wanted fancy phones that last 1 day on a charge. They failed to catch the trend, and that cost them the business. It happened to Xerox, Kodak or even Blackberry. You stop innovating you die. Nowadays faster than ever.

No. Untrue. The N9 was far superior than all of it’s competitors. Elop new that. And despite of the decision by the new anti-Meego management to sell it only in a hand full of rather small countries and virtually no promotion it eventually sold better than the extensively promoted but crappy Lumia 800. Of course Nokia had its problems, and the decision to stick with Symbian partly instead of going MeeGo all in didn’t help - but still Nokia was on track.

7 Likes

I disagree! At some point, Blackberry was far superior product than Nokia. After that it came iPhone and Androids and destroyed also BB. Nokia with Maemo and later MeeGo had no chance on widely adopted ios and android.

MeeGo started before anybody was using Android. The majority was still with Symbian, at that point. The real reason was that MeeGo never really started…

5 Likes

I agree with this point. I wonder why they never really started with MeeGo…

1 Like

They delayed it due to internal disputes with the Symbian team, and once it was ready to start it got blocked by Elop ( the N9 was only available in Switzerland, Austria and Finland) in favor of Windows Phone.

5 Likes

Here’s an idea….and maybe I’m not the first one to think of it

You’d most certainly be one of very few people that thought this idea was worthwhile. Symbian was way better than Windows Phone OS.

Meego was the OS that Nokia should have used.

4 Likes

OT: another question: Is it possible to install Symbian on a Sony Xperia 10?

1 Like

Also available in Germany :slight_smile:

I really liked my windows 8.1 phone. More so than my windows 10 phone. Other windows phone users I talk to do miss it sometimes as well.
But now I am a happy Sailfish OS user. Although I share your reminiscence, Sailfish has a good design philosophy. Taking the best from both OS’es will make a Frankenstein OS that will be worse than even android. However much we liked it, Windows phone is dead, and Sailfish is a great alternative.

4 Likes

Yes but not official. It was eventually sold by some shops, I even saw it at Saturn.

I seem to recall buying my N9 in Denmark, but it might have been Thailand. I still have it, wish I could get the Maps app to work again. It’s just a music player now.

1 Like

Indeed, I bought it at Saturn :smiley: