Email app search suddenly resets the query results

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.5.0.18
HARDWARE: Xperia 10 II
UI LANGUAGE: Finnish
REGRESSION: Not known / Haven’t noticed earlier

DESCRIPTION:

I stumbled upon this weird behaviour at random as I don’t personally search emails that often thus also can’t really tell if this is a regression. However, it seems that when searching emails the view at first glance shows correct query results but then suddenly after some time resets to irrelevant emails that at least to me seemed like in-box emails starting from week earlier than the current date. Also, the reset of query results resets the scroll view back to the beginning.

I’m not sure whether this is related to huge number of query results, but I think the search view shouldn’t just die like that.

PRECONDITIONS:

Have an email account with some emails to search, preferably many emails and/or a search keyword that brings many query results.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Open the email application
  2. Open search
  3. Type some sensible search query
  4. Notice that after a few seconds the view is reset to non-relevant emails

Alternatively, one can scroll the view after step 3) while the search is still ongoing and notice the view reset after a few seconds.

EXPECTED RESULT:

Expected that the query results are shown and they don’t disappear / reset during the search.

ACTUAL RESULT:

The query results get reset suddenly making it impossible to view the relevant searched emails.

MODIFICATIONS:

No modifications.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

None for now. I didn’t notice anything related in journalctl.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. I was able to reproduce this on Xperia 10 III, using an IMAP account. It didn’t happen on a Microsoft 365 account. I duplicated this on our internal bug tracker.

2 Likes