Core apps not opening after 4.4 update

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.4.0.58
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): XA2
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION: Phone, Browser, Calendar , Email apps do not open. The Phone and Browser app open the icon with a spinning circle which spins for several second then the icon disappears. With the Calendar and Email apps the icon draw disappears as normally happens but no icon appears, nothing happens. The Email and Calendar apps did work initially. See below.

The Gallery app opens to the page where you choose Photos, Videos, or Screenshots but when you try to select one of these there is an error message, “Could not load page”. Items in the One Drive selection display normally. Also the carousel thumbnails are displayed.

When you try to make a call by choosing a contact from the People app there is a message saying Emergency Call Only. An incoming call triggers the ringer, there is a message on the screen saying call in progress but there is no way to answer the call.

One thing I also noticed is the picture on the updates page didn’t change as normally happens for an update yet the text says Vanha Rauma Version 4.4.0.58

============

PRECONDITIONS: Nil

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

EXPECTED RESULT:

ACTUAL RESULT:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

After the update there was an error message saying the phone could not be updated at this time and to try later. There was a re boot button which I used and the phone booted up OK. After the re boot there was a message saying there were updates to several core apps including Email, Calendar. After these were updated the Email and Calendar apps stopped working.

It looks like a bunch of other apps aren’t opening either, SailOTP, Daily Comics, Solar System, Pure Maps, YTPlayer, Laufhelden, Advanced Camera, Situations, Fernschreiber.

Apps that do work are, Messages, Camera, Store, Clock, Unit Converter, GPSInfo, Notes, Documents, Calculator, Media Player.

I have rebooted the phone several times.

The Phone app started working but when that happened the People app stopped working.

I rebooted the phone again and now all the apps that weren’t working now seem to be working. It’s getting late and I haven’t tried them all yet. It appears every app I had an issue with is asking for a bunch of access permissions the first time the app is successfully opened, then all is well with that app.

There is now a the latest picture on the updates page.

Hmmm strange, but at least it’s working.

Once again my motto of “Panic slowly” holds true. :slightly_smiling_face: