Any .spec or .yaml change causes build to fail first time

Maybe it is expected but anytime I tweak my .spec and .yaml files first build after that fails with not really helpful message:

Error while building/deploying project harbour-sfos-forum-viewer (kit: SailfishOS-3.3.0.16-i486 (in Sailfish OS Build Engine))

When executing step "qmake"

Error while building/deploying project harbour-sfos-forum-viewer (kit: SailfishOS-3.3.0.16-i486 (in Sailfish OS Build Engine))

Maybe those are supposed to be autogenerated, but tried just tweaking spec and yaml kept being 0.1 so it seems not, not a big deal as second click on Build goes through, just I guess worth mentioning

I wasn’t able to reproduce it. Is it SDK 3.2 (latest) or 3.1? On which platform? Could you please describe steps to reproduce more concretely, ideally with code example?

1 Like

3.1 still (bit worried about possible… you know), win10. Just having a project open with emulator running, I can build-deploy as rpm easily, but as soon as I tweak .spec/.yaml file I get the error from OP, second Build attempt goes through without issues, so just an annoyance

edit if you want to reproduce the same exact setup I use this project https://github.com/szopin/harbour-sfos-forum-viewer and it has all the .pro and .spec and .yaml, so should result in the same, it’s also connected with it as vcs but doubt this comes into play

Please try with latest SDK then. Unfortunately I cannot try myself right now.

(You can back up the “settings” subdirectory of the installation directory if you are worried about possible issues after upgrading, and restore the old version including your settings in such case.)

1 Like

I’m afraid it’s the same after update to 3.2:

11:00:50: Running steps for project harbour-sfos-forum-viewer...

11:00:50: Start Build Engine: The "Sailfish OS Build Engine" virtual machine is already running. Nothing to do.

11:00:50: Starting: "D:\SailfishOS\settings\SailfishSDK\libsfdk\build-target-tools\Sailfish OS Build Engine\SailfishOS-3.3.0.16-i486\qmake.cmd" C:\Users\noone\sfv\harbour-sfos-forum-viewer\harbour-sfos-forum-viewer.pro -spec linux-g++

+ D:/SailfishOS/bin/./sfdk.exe -c target=SailfishOS-3.3.0.16-i486 qmake 'C:\Users\noone\sfv\harbour-sfos-forum-viewer\harbour-sfos-forum-viewer.pro' -spec linux-g++

Not running under MSYS shell. Session management is not possible.

The kit SailfishOS-3.3.0.16-i486 (in Sailfish OS Build Engine) has configuration issues which might be the root cause for this problem.

11:01:01: Elapsed time: 00:11.

Steps to reproduce:
Open a project (also start emulator running so you don’t have to wait ages…)
Edit spec and yaml file from 7.4 to 7.5
Click build
Get the above error

Win10, SDK 3.2, second Build works fine (though I think this is new: Not running under MSYS shell. Session management is not possible.) Oh and btw emulator is all fcked up (maybe because I left it on xperia x mode now it’s showing in bottom left corner… but I digress, different bug/issue and probably just update sdk bug restarting in intex/aquafish/jollaC mode… oh fuck, it doesn’t now it’s sideways arrrrrrgh I freakin knew not to update… nevermind user error, apparently landscape mode just auto-selects, it’s all good)

But anyway I tried to edit my yaml file from 7.5 to 7.6 (one character change), same error:

The kit SailfishOS-3.3.0.16-i486 (in Sailfish OS Build Engine) has configuration issues which might be the root cause for this problem.

11:20:11: Elapsed time: 00:09.

Second click on Build goes fine (with just extra line now: Not running under MSYS shell. Session management is not possible. new normal)

I try to change 7.6 to 7.7 in spec file, first build fails with same:

Second build again works fine and shows install popup in emulator

edit in case kits as per new error is the culprit:

OK, thank you for trying.

You can ignore the message about session management. Qt Creator now uses sfdk internally and sfdk is unnecessary verbose in this case (on Windows).

Note that it is enough to edit .yaml. When .yaml is found, .spec is updated automatically based on it next time you build your project.

Thank you for mentioning the issues with emulator mode (opening a new topic for that would be nice ;)) - this is a bug.

1 Like

Pretty sure it was just user error as landscape is default, so if you let it go it ends up sideways, not a bug, thanks

From your previous message I understood that after SDK upgrade the emulator was not using the whole window (content displayed in bottom left corner) because you had Xperia X mode selected before, which wasn’t properly restored after upgrade.

1 Like

Ok yeah, this was a bug, let me open a thread, but have close to nothing in terms of documentation on it
edit: here we go SDK 3.2(?) emulator mode breakage between updates

@szopin could you please check whether Tools > Options > Sailfish OS > General > Code model > Ask before running qmake is checked for you?

I was able to reproduce the error with this option unchecked.

Edit .yaml, Ctrl+S, Ctrl+B quickly and the qmake run on background collides with the build invoked explicitly.

When I edit .yaml, Ctrl+S, wait for a (longer) while, the “Updating cache” task executes and after that I can do Ctrl+B successfully.

(Not saying the bug is resolved that way :))

This is fixed in SDK 3.3 which was released to Early Access today. You may give it a try.