Annoying ding when battery is low or charging

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
BUILD ID: Rokua
HARDWARE: XA2
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

2 Reboots after update to 3.3.0.16 (after purchasing license), when the phone discharged to 25%, I started getting a notification sound (a short jazzy piano blip) once a minute. This sound corresponds to no selected sound under Settings => Sounds. I have also UNchecked System sounds.

At home I connected it to a charger; I think it stopped for a while there, but then I started getting a different sound (a short glockenspiel chord), exactly every minute. At precisely that time I find the same recurring line in the journal:

Aug 26 20:36:38 XperiaXA2-DualSIM kernel: swr-wcd msm_sdw_swr_ctrl: swrm_cleanup_disabled_data_ports: end of list

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. discharge battery to 25% and continue discharging => piano blip every minute
  2. while charging battery => short glockenspiel sound every minute
  3. disconnecting the charger makes it stop

EXPECTED RESULT:

No sounds at all.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Repeating sound that cannot be switched off and does not identify itself

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I was trying to get Android support working, without success. I don’t think it’s connected but worth mentioning.

Full journalctl output: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/hhhV8hjqPQ/

2 Likes

Do you have BatteryBuddy installed? Because that sounds like a known bug in that application.

See the comments on Openrepos for more info.

https://openrepos.net/content/direc85/battery-buddy

TL;DR: it can be fixed by rebooting or restarting the systemd service.

4 Likes

Looks like yes. Checked the logs provided by @ohnonot

Aug 26 20:57:58 XperiaXA2-DualSIM systemd[1]: Starting Battery Buddy file permission daemon…

2 Likes

nephros & santhoshmanikandan, you are both correct.

This is not a bug in SailfishOS, it’s a problem with the BatteryBuddy app.

To clarify:

• the app daemon was sending out notification sounds when the charge was above or below a certain value
  • there was NO visual notification or any means to know which app is causing this
  • this started happening after an upgrade to Rokua, but I guess this is coincidence because I updated many apps after the OS update
  • my guess is that this feature was there all the time but simply did not work, and the recent update fixed it - I would not want to believe that the app developer pushed annoying sounds on its users without asking
  • a reboot does not “fix” the issue - after all, it’s a feature and not a bug - but it did bring forth visual notifications with each ding
  • the feature can be switched off in BatteryBuddy settings

Sorry for the noise; I repeat: this is not a bug in SailfishOS.

Good to see this is resolved!

Just for the sake of completeness: there is/was a real bug in BatteryBuddy where the daemon would send those sounds despite the feature being turned off in the settings (or the thresholds set to something different).

1 Like