[4.5.0.18] (still) battery drain on XA2

Are you saying Situations is closed source? :astonished:

I checked but could indeed not find its source code anywhere.

It is for the most part. Its companion daemon, sonar, is open source.

2 Likes

May I ask how you did that?

Considering itā€™s not FOSS, I think Iā€™d like to avoid Situations, too.

I looked at sonar (which is FOSS) but thereā€™s 0 (zero) documentation.

I can add something from myself. Donā€™t have any logs I did my homework different way.
Im in possesion of XA2 Plus that is affected with high battery drain. Device isnā€™t able to last a day only on standby. Im not sure about conclusion that I have but it seems to be problem within base system.
I reflashed this device several times with images 4.5.1.6, 4.5.1.8 and 4.5.1.9. Problem appears with freshly flashed system, no app support installed/enabled. Base system left alone isnā€™t lasting a dayā€¦

Device under usage seems to drain battery accordingly. On standby it is notā€¦

I also flashed it back to android, no problem with high battery drain on usage/standby

In my case problem didnā€™t exist on SFOS 4.4. I think Jolla should take care of it so everybody get ready for your devices to be collecting dust for months only if jolla will not left this alone.

And there is possibility that they will. Sometime ago I called XA2ā€™s to be best suitable for sailfish but it seems that jolla really doesnt give a ā€œā€¦ā€ about older devices. This is really weak

Sadly my XA2+ is also unusable because of this. Itā€™s sad because on X10-2 SFOS is a stuttering, aweful experience, not fluid, feels like 1/10 the speed of XA2+.

Got something to confirm so really nasty bug that jolla gave out to public. Flashed mine XA2+ with 4.4.0.72 image, no unusual battery drain, device wokrs as intended. Jolla Pleaseā€¦ How could this be overlooked through 3 releases of 4.5? This is nuts, it looks like there is no testing of updates of older devices

XA2 devices looks really weak compared to 10 III, but if I have to choose between XA2+ and 10 II I would choose XA2+ with no hesitation

1 Like

How the experience can be so painful on 10 II?
I should say that on 4.4.0.72 everything seems more solid maybe

Imo compared to XA2+ (Same amount of RAM) 10 II isnā€™t really that good. Some performance improvments only.

But this topic is not bout comparing devices. Itā€™s about High battery drain after 4.5 updates and Jolla not doing anything about it.

As I mentioned Im back to 4.4, everything is fine here, but downgrading is not a solution

Should try deeper on my 10 mark I 4.4, because with the latest SFOS I get like at least 10% less of battery then LineageOS 19.1 for instance. Letā€™s hope Jolla address this bug

My initial theory about 4.5 having this bug at ā€œdefaultā€ was not correct. This got much more confusing.
As I was playing with 4.4 sfos I noticed that 4.5 got really good performance improvment over 4.4 both to base system as the app support. Couldnā€™t resist to update. But really never had a chance to test how battery behave as updated system had broken celluar and wifi. Nothing I tried seem to bring them up again (They worked only once, after the update)

Decied to reshly flash mine XA2+ with new 4.5.0.18 image. And so what? Everything is working fine as far as wifi and celluar goes. But to my suprise no unusual battery drain. I did not do anything different. Configured my device as always. This is really strange, donā€™t get me wrong Im happy that it is working right (No change after calls or print screen) but Im worry if I ever need to reflash.

It seems I just joined the drain club. I used to charge my XA2 once in three days (mostly used to talk/sms). One day it started to eat battery like crazy and it stays like that (sadly, restarts/poweroff - no effect). Now I have to charge every day. Two days ago installed Battery Buddy and it seems it drops 1% battery in 10-20 minutes while doing NOTHING.

Its on 4.5.0.19.

Can you share this script, please?

Why? Can you extend your opinion - even in PVT if you feel that it would be OT.

Now Im not very happy aboiit the battery drain. Went to sleep with 30% and the alarm didnt ring because the device was drained and off. @Jolla what do you need to fix/debug this issue?

Could you observe the battery drain vs. CPU etc. with SystemDataScope app by Rinigus?

On my device it fixed itself. I think I had some rogue process running in the background.

Iā€™ve experienced the same a couple of times now (XA2, SFOS 4.5.0.19): when going to sleep, battery is at ~40 %, but the phone dies during the night. Normally battery drops only sligthly as I use Situations to turn on flight mode automatically for the night. After this I noticed that the issue can happen during day time. Phone restart fixes it (until something triggers it again), restarting AD does not.

Iā€™ve studied the issue with System Data Scope, and the problem seems to be that something locks the system so that the phone starts to use high CPU frequency (2208MHz is locked at around 45%), CPU suspend fails and is unable to sleep. First I suspected that some patches may be the culprit, then Battery Buddy, so I uninstalled those. The problem did not go away.

But I think I have finally found what causes it: it most likely happens after I turn off bluetooth. At least today the onset of the phenomenon coincides with deactivating bluetooth (before this I was listening to a podcast in podQast), and I noticed that bluetooth couldnā€™t be turned on when the battery drain was high. I restarted bluetooth service with Utilities, and cpu performance and battery drain returned to normal level.

I do believe this is a new bug that emerged with SFOS 4.5.0.19.

I hope this helps debugging the problem.

1 Like

Just found something weird or Im not looking right at those graphs.

So it only gets proper sleep when charging? O_o

1 Like

Not sure if this was mentioned, but for the original report (call, sms, screenshot + high lipstick usage) there could be a workaround using this Project: sailfishos-notification-preview-high-cpu-usage-patch.

1 Like