[4.1.0.23] Events quick access swipe is from the wrong side

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100 %
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.1.0.23
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): X10, JT (updated from 4.0), X10 II (fresh install)
UI LANGUAGE: Finnish
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

Option Settings->Gestures->“Quick access to events” (Nopea Tapahtumien avaaminen) states that the option enables direct access to Events by swiping from the left edge. This was previously the case. However, since 4.1.0.23, this is from the right edge, contrary to the option description and behaviour in the previous versions.

PRECONDITIONS:

no automatic device locking enabled

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Enable Settings->Gestures->“Quick access to events” on the recent early access release.
  2. Swipe lockscreen from left to get to events view
  3. Swipe lockscreen from right to get to open apps view

EXPECTED RESULT:

Swiping from left goes to events view. Swiping from right goes to open apps view.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Contrary: Swiping from left goes to open apps view. Swiping from right goes to events view.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

3 Likes

Interestingly, for me this is on the correct side (left) on my X compact, so I can’t reproduce this.

I can reproduce it on my Jolla C

This bug has been reported internally, but too late. Here is the fix for it : but be aware that it is modifying a file from the Lipstick, the compositor. If it’s done in a wrong way, the phone won’t start anymore…

--- a/usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/lockscreen/LockScreen.qml
+++ b/usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/lockscreen/LockScreen.qml
@@ -473,7 +473,7 @@ ApplicationWindow {
                         lockScreen.pinQueryPannable.deviceWasLocked = false
                     }

-                    if ((lockContainer.x > 0 || overshoot > 0) && !Lipstick.compositor.lockScreenLayer.lockScreenEvents
+                    if ((lockContainer.x > 0 || absoluteProgress > 0) && !Lipstick.compositor.lockScreenLayer.lockScreenEventsEnabled
                             && (Lipstick.compositor.notificationOverviewLayer.hasNotifications || Desktop.settings.left_peek_to_events)
                             && Lipstick.compositor.systemInitComplete) {
                         lockItem.reset()

After doing the modification, you can run systemctl --user restart lipstick from ssh. In case it goes wrong you can still go backward to the original file.

2 Likes

For me neither side work. Is it the same bug or is there something to do with that that I don’t have a device lock set?

You have to enable this in settings - gestures first.

Is something like this not exactly what an EA is about?
Fixing a reported (and it seems already known) bug?

Or did I misinterpret you and this bug is only in EA and will be fixed in PR?

1 Like

Oh, and strange is that this seems to have different effects on different devices.

On my X it works as normal.

I enabled it but that didn’t change anything.

@Mazoon: From the Lock screen, we always get to the security code dialog - never to the Events view. The edge swipe takes us to the Events view from the Home screen and from the App grid. Home screen has the open apps shown as app covers or it is empty if no apps are open.

With Settings->Gestures->“Quick access to events” enabled on 4.1.0.23, be it Xperia XA2 or Xperia 10ii, the following should happen (and it goes like this on my phones):

1. Home screen with 2-3 apps visible (covers shown):

a) From the left

• swipe from beyond the left edge towards right: Events view appears
  • do another similar swipe: Home screen appears

b) From the right

• swipe from beyond the right edge towards left: Events view appears

2. App grid visible

a) From the left

• swipe from beyond the left edge towards right: Events view appears

b) From the right

• swipe from beyond the right edge towards left: Home screen appears
  • do another similar swipe: Events view appears
1 Like

From the Lock screen we always get to the security code dialog - never to the Events view. The edge swipe takes us to the Events view from the Home screen and from the App grid . Home screen has the open apps shown as app covers or it is empty if no apps are open.

The attached view. I do not know what to call it if it is not lock screen. However, I have security code disabled - it is only prompted on boot, not when opening that (not-lock?) screen. No, never security code dialog as I do not have it enabled, always straight to events or home screen.

From that screen, swipe from the left: home screen appears. Swipe from the right, events view appears.

(YES, indeed, if app grid is visible, swipe from the left: events view appears. Swipe from the right, events view appears, contrary to the (not-?) lock screen.)

1 Like

Yes, that’s the bug I talked about. You must have no lock code for it to appears, have not checked the new “view event on lock screen” option from 4.1.0 and have checked the old “swipe left to event view” option. With this combination (and only this one), the swipe gesture from which the screenshot has been taken, is actually inversed, event view is appearing from a right swipe and home (or last opened application) from the left. Very annoying.

This behaviour is not in the master branch of lipstick-jolla-home anymore, as far as I know, and has been fixed there, but the fix was not backported to the public 4.1.0.

Well, I spotted this before the public release as EA, but it was decided that it was already too late to change something in a portion of code that is quite critical. Even if the fix looks simple, it may have unexpected consequences that a short test on device may not reveal. Bringing finally more harm than correcting. I guess they have weighted pros and cons before delaying the correction to the next release.

That being said, I’m running the fix for weeks now without any trouble.

1 Like

In my case (Xperia X, no security lock), the option is reversed. If the switch is on, and I swipe left or right on the lock screen, I end up in the app screen. If the switch is off, swiping left (<<) opens the events view, swiping right opens the app view.
I have not switched on the quick access to events view.

confirm, same bug, little bit annoying
P.S. 4.1.0.24

1 Like

I am surprised that this bug was shippable for EA, and didn’t get handled for even the public release.
To elaborate on my end, I always use the Quick Events access gesture option, and lock my phone automatically after 5 minutes. I don’t use the Event peek option for security reasons.
I can confirm that when the device is in an unlocked state, waking the device and swiping from the right takes me straight to Events, while swiping from the left takes me to my last screen (the last activity on screen has no bearing on this).
The system behaves as expected when in a locked state, however. Swiping from left goes to Events, swiping from right goes to last screen.

Still seems to be happening on 4.1.0.24. Perhaps the next release after the next release then.

Just updated to 4.1.0.24, Xperia X . Events quick access works correctly. Cannot reproduce the bug with various gesture and lockscreen options disabled/enabled.

I have the same issue on XA2 (single SIM). When on the lock screen, swiping from the right leads to Events view and swiping from the left to the last open app, when it should be the other way around.

When the phone is unlocked and you are in an open app, swiping from the left leads to the events view and from the right to the home screen, as intended.

Would be nice to see this fixed soon, it is quite irritating.

I think there might be a confusion between two independent swipe gesture functionalities.

Swiping on Home Screen / App Grid / open App window:
Works as @jovirkku has described above.

But that is actually completely unrelated to what the bug report is referring to

Swiping on Lock Screen:
Note: This will work with or without a lock code being enabled
When your phone’s screen is turned off, by hitting the power button you’re taken to the lock screen.
Here, you can ‘take a turn’: Swiping left should take you to events view, swiping right to the home screen. If you have a PIN code enabled, you’ll have to enter that first - the screen appears for both directions after the swipe. But having a PIN code or not doesn’t change the outcome of you ‘turning’ left or right.