Unable to install apk from file [4.4.0.72]

It used to work correctly in the past, but from certain update of Sailfish X on my Xperia X, it stopped working (now I am running 4.4.0.72).
I download “.apk” file directly from internet, e.g. from “whatsapp.com” site or whatever, it appears in the “Settings/Transfers” list. So I click it and nothing happens. If I press and hold, it just shows the only option “Remove from history”.

Untrusted software is allowed.
Android App Support is up and running. Already installed android apps work correctly (like my Firefox Browser 68.11.0).
I tried to restart the phone, “Utilities/Package cache clear”, also tried from command line “devel-su pkcon refresh”, but nothing helped.
Please advice. Thank you.

You need an Android-File-Manager like “ES File” or similar to archive this on Xperia X.

For me it was also not working to install a .apk from Sailfish File-Browser. It did offer the option “Install APK” but did nothing.

1 Like

Thanks. In different thread here on this forum I found also a solution via command line:

"devel-su apkd-install *.apk"

and it worked.

Strange thing is, that I am sure on some older versions of Sailfish OS it worked from Sailfish file manager.

2 Likes

Strange thing is, that I am sure on some older versions of Sailfish OS it worked from Sailfish file manager.

I notice the same behaviour.